Thursday, August 11, 2011

Why Swivel Chairs are the Epitome of Happiness

Dear Blogmasters,

I've come to the conclusion that with an active imagination, an office can quickly become a source of great amusement. Keep in mind that many offices are occupied by employees who have been in a similar or even same position for years, and therefore enjoy a bit of spicing up the place ever so often. Doing repeated tasks and interacting with no one but a computer and strangers through phone, a person can go slightly insane : Which is precisely why I love my job.

Disregarding the fact that I have a wrap around desk, my own office and a great view, the component that makes our work place so unique is the people. There are only three of us, I'm a recent addition so you can imagine the proximity in which my coworkers have been for the last couple years. We're casual, professional, ridiculous, comical, hysterical and of course, surprisingly efficient. Most of our conversations take place from our own desks, and although it can be loud when we start playing music, it's nothing compared to the stopping from our neighbours upstairs. So there is hardly a moment when we are confronted with a dead silence that creates the ever-dulling-quiet-and-calculated atmosphere.

Both my coworkers are upbeat, but it doesn't take away from the fact that they are knowledgeable and professional. In the couple weeks I've been here I don't think I've ever learned so much, or laughed so hard. To be honest I've been the butt of many a joke, especially when it comes to poise or tact, however that doesn't impede my ability to rally with an "over-the-hill" comment or two. I read somewhere that in order to succeed in a work place, it's better to adapt the customs and mannerisms of your coworkers. In this case, it's a mix of dark humour and smart negotiations, which fits the bill for what I look for in a job.

And then, There's the swivel Chair.

Oh it's every child's dream to sit on a spinning chair for hour upon hours. Considering I'm still technically a child, it satisfies an array of childhood dreams.... all while I'm getting paid.

It's a wonderful thing to be educated,

Arctic Hipster

No comments:

Post a Comment